So Much for Normalcy
Jun. 1st, 2026 02:43 pmI'd just started to feel like life was back to normal...I didn't have any crazy plans for awhile, my PC was mostly behaving itself, I had some rhetorical moving options but noting presently on the slate, there wasn't any crazy friendship drama...
...and then, last Wednesday, Shea, the property manager over at Keen's Crossing, emailed me to say that a Willow unit was going to be available starting August 15, and that I should let her know by June 1 or she was going to have to post it online, at which point anyone who put down a deposit could claim it.
I ended up having about five phonecalls with my parents within 48 hours.
I'm still not sure this is a great move for me...Willow isn't quite as large as I'd hope for, and moving is just going to be a massive undertaking even with help...but something did happen to make me more persuaded that it was a good idea...
I texted Leo and Donna (landlords) to let them know that they might be hearing from Keen's Crossing, and to thank them for being great landlords for over 20(!) years.
To my dismay, my phone rang about five minutes later.
It appeared to be Leo, and I actually greeted him by name, only to find out it was Donna calling...and that Leo had passed away in April. :| Besides telling me that, she was asking about whether there was any significant damage to the apartment (none that I know of?), and to get a better sense of my timetable, because she was really hoping I wasn't planning to move out in winter when maintenance would be more challenging. I was able to assure her that I wasn't planning to move mid-winter.
Tomorrow I'll likely be putting a holding deposit down on Willow. I am deeply nervous, and it's crazy to think it hasn't even been a full week since the floor dropped out from under me.
Less nerve-wracking: I dropped my car off for an inspection and tire changeover on Wednesday afternoon (something about that day...). I wasn't -that- surprised that they called me to say their mechanic was running behind, and it's not like I -need- my car during the week.
I was more surprised when I hadn't heard from them by noon on Thursday, and when I called them they said the printer they use for inspection stickers was out of order but that they'd have it fixed Friday morning...which they did, and I got my car back without issues other than the delay. Still...
But yes, my computer is (mostly) behaving normally, and editing is back on track. I should be done with this book later this month, which will be a good thing if this move proceeds. Everything else is fine I guess. I kind of wish I was moving elsewhere, but nobody's exactly knocking down my door begging me to live near them. Sigh.
Oh, I thought I was going to have a boring Memorial Day weekend, but then Leona and I were chatting and she suggested we make an Escape Room happen, and I also suggested we could do a movie in the event that the Escape Room didn't happen, so we did both.
She was running late to see "Project Hail Mary" (if you liked "The Martian" you'll probably like this, though the two are significantly different), so I ended up finding a seat, and it's a good thing I did. The theater was packed, which was a bit mind-blowing considering the movie was definitely not a new release by then. I enjoyed it except for the sheer number of people and the fact that the theater was a bit warm (perhaps beause of said people). Leona didn't arrive before they dimmed the lights, and afterward I found out that when she arrived the movie was sold out! Happily, she invited me to grab dinner with her partner, so we went to an Irish Pub place and I had a burger and drink that put me in a food and alcohol coma. It was bad, but at least I had nothing else going on.
The Escape Room was a decent time. We finished with four minutes to spare, which was almost anticlimactic. Besides Leona and her partner, it was the usual suspects of Rustyc, Phaaze and Atlas. A collective meh from me, but they were alright at least. They arrived late enough that I was a bit worried we wouldn't get in or that they'd take time away from us (I wouldn't have blamed them). Afterward we got frozen yogurt, which was a decent time (I can't remember when I last did that).
Today's another day where I found a routine task that Aaron somehow fucked up, though at least it wasn't a severe fuck-up. Just a bewildering one.
Linktree has decided to embrace AI, which is annoying in that I spent a lot of time yesterday finding a new service. So now I'm at https://siphedious.carrd.co/, which is probably not exciting to anyone.
...and then, last Wednesday, Shea, the property manager over at Keen's Crossing, emailed me to say that a Willow unit was going to be available starting August 15, and that I should let her know by June 1 or she was going to have to post it online, at which point anyone who put down a deposit could claim it.
I ended up having about five phonecalls with my parents within 48 hours.
I'm still not sure this is a great move for me...Willow isn't quite as large as I'd hope for, and moving is just going to be a massive undertaking even with help...but something did happen to make me more persuaded that it was a good idea...
I texted Leo and Donna (landlords) to let them know that they might be hearing from Keen's Crossing, and to thank them for being great landlords for over 20(!) years.
To my dismay, my phone rang about five minutes later.
It appeared to be Leo, and I actually greeted him by name, only to find out it was Donna calling...and that Leo had passed away in April. :| Besides telling me that, she was asking about whether there was any significant damage to the apartment (none that I know of?), and to get a better sense of my timetable, because she was really hoping I wasn't planning to move out in winter when maintenance would be more challenging. I was able to assure her that I wasn't planning to move mid-winter.
Tomorrow I'll likely be putting a holding deposit down on Willow. I am deeply nervous, and it's crazy to think it hasn't even been a full week since the floor dropped out from under me.
Less nerve-wracking: I dropped my car off for an inspection and tire changeover on Wednesday afternoon (something about that day...). I wasn't -that- surprised that they called me to say their mechanic was running behind, and it's not like I -need- my car during the week.
I was more surprised when I hadn't heard from them by noon on Thursday, and when I called them they said the printer they use for inspection stickers was out of order but that they'd have it fixed Friday morning...which they did, and I got my car back without issues other than the delay. Still...
But yes, my computer is (mostly) behaving normally, and editing is back on track. I should be done with this book later this month, which will be a good thing if this move proceeds. Everything else is fine I guess. I kind of wish I was moving elsewhere, but nobody's exactly knocking down my door begging me to live near them. Sigh.
Oh, I thought I was going to have a boring Memorial Day weekend, but then Leona and I were chatting and she suggested we make an Escape Room happen, and I also suggested we could do a movie in the event that the Escape Room didn't happen, so we did both.
She was running late to see "Project Hail Mary" (if you liked "The Martian" you'll probably like this, though the two are significantly different), so I ended up finding a seat, and it's a good thing I did. The theater was packed, which was a bit mind-blowing considering the movie was definitely not a new release by then. I enjoyed it except for the sheer number of people and the fact that the theater was a bit warm (perhaps beause of said people). Leona didn't arrive before they dimmed the lights, and afterward I found out that when she arrived the movie was sold out! Happily, she invited me to grab dinner with her partner, so we went to an Irish Pub place and I had a burger and drink that put me in a food and alcohol coma. It was bad, but at least I had nothing else going on.
The Escape Room was a decent time. We finished with four minutes to spare, which was almost anticlimactic. Besides Leona and her partner, it was the usual suspects of Rustyc, Phaaze and Atlas. A collective meh from me, but they were alright at least. They arrived late enough that I was a bit worried we wouldn't get in or that they'd take time away from us (I wouldn't have blamed them). Afterward we got frozen yogurt, which was a decent time (I can't remember when I last did that).
Today's another day where I found a routine task that Aaron somehow fucked up, though at least it wasn't a severe fuck-up. Just a bewildering one.
Linktree has decided to embrace AI, which is annoying in that I spent a lot of time yesterday finding a new service. So now I'm at https://siphedious.carrd.co/, which is probably not exciting to anyone.